I. Our Mission:
– Help a few people and organizations that serve a charitable, educational or humanitarian purpose.
– Produce and support research on diverse topics, usually with national public policy implications.
II. Our Research by Category:
III. Research in Alphabetical Order:
Please tell your friends about any of our topics they may find interesting
- 2000 U.S. Presidential Election: Analysis of the Impact of Ralph Nader and One Florida County’s Confusing Ballot Design: A modest paper based primarily on math. Archived 11/9/2020
- 9/11 and related events: A searchable database in timeline format of over 7,800 sourced quotes covering events seemingly related to 9/11 such as oil, George W. Bush, Saddam Hussein, al Qaeda, our subsequent invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, torture, and much more.
- AboutTrump.org (and Biden): A free searchable database containing over 42,000 sourced quotes by and about Donald Trump and Joe Biden. Partially Archived 1/20/2021
- Barack Obama: Information and facts covering his birth, school, early years, and presidency, 1,292 pieces of legislation, 69 signing statements, 267 executive orders, 12 vetoes, 1,842 pardons and commutations, 1,180 proclamations, 635 memoranda, and 3,427 speeches and remarks – from 1/20/2009 through 1/19/2017. Archived 1/19/2017
- Benghazi: U.S. Government reports on Benghazi – A cover up by the left, the right’s red herring… or? Archived 3/1/2017
- The Brains of Conservatives and Liberals are Different: 28 peer-reviewed neuroscience studies show that liberals and conservatives process the same data differently.
- Electoral College: Working to understand the Electoral College
- George W. Bush: Information and facts covering his birth, school, early years, and presidency, 1,831 pieces of legislation, 168 signing statements, 289 executive orders, 12 vetoes, 193 pardons and commutations, 939 proclamations, 1,093 memoranda, and 4,184 speeches and remarks – 8 years from 1/20/2001 through 1/19/2009. Archived 1/7/2016
- The National Anthem & the NFL: Is the National Anthem a proper symbol of America or a symbol of its racist past?
- OceanInfo.org: Links to third-party sites covering global and regional scientific information on our oceans. Archived 6/30/2019
- NEW Official Anti-Jewish Acts: Few realize the extent of Official Acts against Jews during the last 2,500 years. This work shows 2,763 Acts Official Anti-Jewish Acts from 456 B.C.E. to Dec. 31, 2000, including 2,539 non-Nazi Acts and 224 Nazi-era Acts from 1920 to 1945.
- Plastics, Pollution & Solutions: Recycling programs and solutions: Plastic pollution is a problem that affects the entire world, polluting both land and water. Updated information on current recycling issues, and organizations and technologies dedicated to solving plastics pollution. Archived 6/29/2019
- Second Amendment: Many pieces of the puzzle that make up our individual rights to arms.
- Special Investigations Involving U.S. Presidents and Their Admins Since 1973: A new report that compares special investigations involving Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II, and Trump by total cost, per day cost, total time of investigations, and other data.
- The Three Richard A. Clarke National Scholarly Monograph Competitions: 2011, 2012 and 2013, covering the lesson learned from 9/11; effective, alternative means of preventing violent extremism; and are drone attacks moral or legal?
- The U.S./Cuban Embargo: A searchable database, in timeline format, containing over 600 sourced quotes about Cuba and the U.S. embargo of Cuba from government officials, journalists, authors and others. Archived 11/8/2017
- NEW Trump Impeachments Overview: An overview of the process for both impeachments of Donald Trump, as compared to the impeachment processes for Andrew Johnson, Richard Nixon, and Bill Clinton.
- VoterInfo: A site to be built for all U.S. Elections. Funding is needed to help build an organization to conscientiously produce comprehensive nonpartisan voter information covering all U.S. elections, local, state and national. That voter information should be available free through available delivery systems. The organization should be run by a nonprofit organization with a board represented by the major political parties, and should have a nationally respected CEO. The operation should be operated under strict nonpartisan bylaws and have transparent policies. If you have an interest in discussing or possibly helping with this project, please contact Steven C. Markoff.
- Was the ACA (Obamacare) Negotiated by the Democrats in Secret?: Some facts of the 427-day process of turning the ACA (Obamacare) into law, including final vote tallies, the “if you like your doctor” statements, the compromises, and the 19 taxes, penalties, fees, revenue enhancements, and deduction eliminations. Archived 7/30/2017
- Who funds the NRA?: A look at who funds The National Rifle Association (NRA). Archived 7/27/2015
IV. Books We Support
- ACLU in the Supreme Court: This three-volume work is the only compilation of the (estimated) 1,193 cases decided by the U.S. Supreme Court in which the ACLU was involved during the Union’s first 100 years, ending Jan. 19, 2020. Additionally, there is a small companion handbook containing all the facts and data in the three-volume set, except the handbook only has three (as examples) of the (estimated) 1,193 case overviews. This project is seeking an agent and/or publisher to represent the Handbook, the three-volume set or both. There can be a five-figure marketing budget available to help market the books.
- The Case Against George W. Bush: Best of Los Angeles Award for “Best Political Book – 2020” – “A provocative, readable indictment for our time.” – Kirkus Review. In the book, George W. Bush is accused of three crimes: Criminal negligence; Torture; and Misleading our country into unnecessarily attacking Iraq in 2003. The case against Bush is told through almost 600 sourced quotes from over 100 published books and reports. Authors quoted include those from all over the political spectrum including former British Prime Minister Tony Blair; Hans Blix, head of the United Nations Monitoring, Verification and Inspection Commission from March 2000 to June 2003; President George W. Bush; former Vice President Richard “Dick” Cheney; former US Senator Russ Feingold; former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice; former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld; and writers and journalists such as Steve Coll, Frank Rich, Craig Unger, and Bob Woodward. In addition Richard A. Clarke [Richard A. Clarke], respected internationally as a counter-terrorism expert, wrote the book’s Foreword. The first few sentences of that Foreword:
“For some Americans, George W. Bush looks good by comparison to the incumbent, Donald Trump. In his post-presidency, Bush has devoted himself to worthy causes and acted in a bipartisan manner. The 43rd president should, however, be judged not by comparison to America’s worst president, nor by what Bush may have done after leaving office. He should be evaluated for his actions in office, his nonfeasance, misfeasance and malfeasance. This volume from Steven Markoff provides the evidence for such an evaluation. You can judge for yourself.”
100% of the royalties the author would normally receive from the book are being directly donated to the non-profit National September 11 Memorial & Museum in NYC. Available now on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Indiebound, Powells, Bookshop.org, and Rare Bird (for signed copies).
- Threats: Intimidation and its Discontents: Author David P. Barash, published by Oxford University Press on October 1, 2020. This book examines a range of intimidation-based threats, ranging from its use in animals, through threats of punishment (especially execution) and of eternal torment in the afterlife — intended to intimidate people into behaving as desired, and especially focused on the most serious, dangerous, and ill-advised threat of all: that of nuclear deterrence.
- Trump University: The book’s goal is to take an in depth, nonpartisan look at Trump University, from its beginning to end. The author began his research as a nonpartisan looking at Trump University, determined to sort out the truth given the divergent stories about the enterprise given by Donald Trump and his critics. The author found Trump University’s original high-minded concept — online courses for entrepreneurs developed by Ivy League professors — quickly turned into a high-pressure, get-rich-quick-in-real-estate business with more than 7,000 dissatisfied students, many of them deeply in debt from Trump U. The story is largely gleaned from thousands of court documents that include Trump University’s internal records and emails, government investigations, affidavits, and depositions from former students and employees. (The work is complete, except for final edits and looking for a publisher.)
We look forward to your comments and criticisms of our work.
Steven (Steve) C. Markoff